Saturday, June 28, 2014

Summer Foods

Summer Foods
A delicious summer salad! Isn't it pretty? It looks like a fiesta of veggies. Red onion (my new fave!) and feta cheese really make this salad good. Plus yellow AND red tomatoes as well as celery, cucumber, bell peppers...the usual. 

Gluten free pancakes! Made with Pamela's gluten free flour. You may have a previous impression that all gluten free items taste like cardboard, which I respect and understand. However, these really aren't too bad! Especially when beautifully arranged with strawberries, bananas, maple syrup and whipped cream. Although this may be white flour free, it isn't quite white sugar free...You have to pick your battles I think. 

These are lovely lemon cookies that are perfect for summer and taste like teatime at an English cottage in the sunshine. Yep. Find the recipe here

I SWEAR by this chocolate chip cookie recipe I found on Pinterest. It produces PERFECTION cookies! Whatever you do, DON'T add more flour even though you will probably think it needs more after everything is added. Find the recipe here
There is honestly nothing better than homemade strawberry lemonade. And since I have the highly esteemed privilege of being in a home that has a Vitamix (at least for the summer....not having one for 6+ months has made me thank my lucky stars for this blessed blender designed by the gods), I literally just threw in about a cup of hulled strawberries, 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of lemon juice and a bunch of water and blended it all up! And boom. Ice cubes in the glass, happiness in my mouth. And isn't that jar just ADORABLE?! Me and my mom are in love with it. 


ALSO, I tried a yummy recipe my sister Katie gave me for crockpot meatloaf that is delicious served with garlic mashed potatoes! But I didn't take a PICTURE of it! I was so mad. But it was so good! Here is the recipe, with some additions I made: 

Grandma’s Saucy Meatloaf

1 1/2 lbs ground beef
3/4 cup quick oats
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup dried minced onion
Topping:
1 1/3 cup ketchup
2 T brown sugar
2 T mustard

In a large bowl, combine beef, oats, egg, milk, pepper, and onion.
Shape into a loaf and place in a greased 2 1/2 to 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.
Mix together ketchup, brown sugar, and mustard. Spread 1/2 of the sauce over top.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
Heat up remaining 1/2 of the sauce in the microwave and add extra to each serving as needed. 



No comments:

Post a Comment